On this page
Aboriginal children, young people, families and carers have the right to quality services that actively encourage access through inclusive practice and programs.
While most Aboriginal children and young people in Victoria thrive in culturally rich and loving homes, many others are not experiencing the same positive outcomes from programs and services as other Victorians.
Our Aboriginal Strategy and Programs unit works to:
- engage with the Koori community in Victoria on issues that affect Koori children and young people
- monitor conditions for Koori children and young people in out-of-home care, the child protection system and the youth justice system
- provide policy advice to government and conduct inquiries to improve services to Koori children and young people
- build cultural competency and provide cultural advice to the Commission as a whole.
Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People
Andrew Jackomos served as the inaugural Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People from 2013 until early 2018. Justin Mohamed commenced as Victoria's second Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People in May 2018.
Aboriginal inclusion action plan
We are committed to ensuring that our operations and interactions are inclusive of the needs of Aboriginal children and young people and Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.
Our Aboriginal Inclusion Action Plan 2016-2019 sets out actions for the Commission in five key areas:
- leadership and governance
- policy and research
- programs, inquiries and reviews
- workplace diversity
Read our Aboriginal Inclusion Action Plan (pdf, 2.8Mb)
Systemic inquiry into services provided to Aboriginal children and young people in out-of-home-care in Victoria.
Inquiry into compliance with the intent of the Aboriginal Child Placement Principle in Victoria.
Seeking Aboriginal Independent Visitors to youth justice centres
We are currently seeking expressions of interest from Aboriginal volunteers to join our Independent Visitor Program to youth justice centres in Victoria.
Find out more on our Independent Visitor Program page.