On this page
We are an independent statutory body that promotes improvement in policies and practices affecting the safety and wellbeing of Victorian children and young people. We have a particular focus on vulnerable children and young people.
Read more about what we do in the following factsheet:
That the rights of all children and young people in Victoria are recognised, respected and defended.
Read about Our strategic plan
In addition to operating in accordance with the Victorian Public Sector values, the Commission applies the following values in its day-to-day work:
- we put the rights of children and young people at the centre of everything we do
- we are strong, fearless and determined
- we are transparent and accountable
- we know diversity of people, experiences and perspectives makes our work stronger
- we accomplish more as we are a united team.
What we do
- provide independent scrutiny and oversight of services for children and young people, particularly those in the out-of-home-care, child protection and youth justice systems
- advocate for best practice policy, program and service responses to meet the needs of children and young people
- support and regulate organisations that work with children and young people to prevent abuse and make sure these organisations have child safe practices
- bring the views and experiences of children and young people to the attention of government and the community
- promote the rights, safety and wellbeing of children and young people.
We began operating on 1 March 2013, replacing the Office of the Child Safety Commissioner.
Our functions and powers are outlined in the Commission for Children and Young People Act 2012 and the Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005.
Our commitment to child safety
We are committed to providing a child safe and child friendly environment, where children and young people with whom we have contact are safe and feel safe, and able to actively participate in decisions that affect their lives. The Child Safety and Wellbeing Policy applies to the Commissioners, staff, contractors, volunteers and authorised persons engaged by the Commission.
Child Safety and Wellbeing Policy (PDF, 358kb)
Australian and New Zealand Children's Commissioners and Guardians
The Commission is a member of the Australian and New Zealand Children's Commissioners and Guardians (ANZCCG). More information is available here.