We monitor the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in the youth justice system by:
- examining serious incidents in youth justice custody
- ongoing engagement with the Minister for Youth Justice and senior staff of the Department of Justice and Community Safety
- operating a monthly Independent Visitor Program at Parkville and Malmsbury Youth Justice Precincts
- conducting independent exit interviews with children and young people leaving youth justice custody
- conducting on-site inspections, including direct engagement with children and young people in youth justice centres
- responding to consultations, policy issues and legislative amendments relating to youth justice.