On this page
Our objectives, functions and powers are outlined in the Commission for Children and Young People Act 2012 and the Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005. They include:
- promoting continuous improvement and innovation in policies and practices relating to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people
- promoting continuous improvement and innovation in the provision of out of home care services for children
- providing advice to Ministers, Government Departments, health services and human services about policies, practices and the provision of services relating to the safety or wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people
- promoting compliance with the Child Safe Standards.
With regard to the Reportable Conduct Scheme, the objectives, functions and powers of the Commission include:
- educating, providing advice, and otherwise improving the ability of entities to identify reportable conduct
- ensuring that entities report and properly investigate reportable allegations
- working with entities, regulators and other relevant bodies to prevent reportable conduct from occurring in entities.
Other laws guide our day to day work. These include the following:
- Children, Youth and Families Act 2005
- Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006
- Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014
- Health Records Act 2001