On this page
The Child Safe Standards Community of Practice brings together people from organisations who need to comply with the Child Safe Standards, to learn from and with each other, and create linkages and networks.
For information on upcoming Community of Practice forums, or how to join the Community of Practice through subscribing to our updates click here.
This Community of Practice focussed on the new Child Safe Standards. It includes:
- an update on Commission activity over the last financial year
- a background why the new Standards have been introduced
- insights and views about the importance of including children and young people as you develop and implement child safe practices
- what’s meant by minimum requirements and an overview of the new Standards
- what’s new and what’s changing.
- Liana Buchanan, Principal Commissioner for Children and Young People
- Commission Youth Council members Kirra, Amelia, Elfie and Andrew
- Emily Sanders, Director Regulation
- Pam Boag and Norelle Woolley from the Commission.
Please note, internet connectivity issues resulted in sound/video issues around the 1 hour 22 minute mark of the recording. At this point, the Director Regulation is referring to checking with your regulator (if relevant) or peak body for sector specific guidance to implement the Child Safe Standards.
Creating a culture of child safety
Using her experience as a leadership expert known for assisting organisations to adapt to complex change, Chris Kotur spoke about strategies to achieve organisational culture change, with a focus on achieving a culture of child safety. This presentation is relevant for both the current and new Child Safe Standards.
Please note this presentation discusses child abuse.
Empowerment and participation: A guide for organisations working with children and young people
This Community of Practice explores the resource “Empowerment and participation: A guide for organisations working with children and young people” and includes the views from two Commission Youth Council members about how organisations can encourage empowerment and participation.
- Liana Buchanan, Principal Commissioner
- Commission Youth Council members Kirra and Amelia
- Pam Boag and Louisa Faris from the Commission
- Associate Professor Tim Moore, Deputy Director at the Australian Centre for Child Protection at University of SA.