Who do the Standards apply to?

The standards apply to all organisations that provide services or facilities for children.

Who has to comply?

Organisations and businesses that are required to comply with the standards include those that:

  • provide any services specifically for children
  • provide any facilities specifically for use by children who are under the entity’s supervision, or
  • engage a child as a contractor, employee or volunteer to assist the entity in providing services, facilities or goods.

Organisations fall into two categories.

Category 1 organisations

These are organisations that:

  • are regulated and/or funded by government departments
  • provide and supervise services for children
  • provide and supervise facilities specifically for children.

Existing regulators and government funding bodies will be the primary contact on Child Safe Standards issues for these organisations. These include:

  • registered schools (government and non-government)
  • approved education and care services (e.g. kindergartens, after hours care services)
  • children’s services (e.g. occasional care providers)
  • an organisation that provides Early Childhood Intervention Services
  • Maternal and Child Health Centres
  • organisations registered or accredited to provide senior secondary education and training
  • registered overseas student exchange organisations
  • approved education and training organisations providing courses to students from overseas
  • out-of-home care services
  • child protection services
  • family violence or sexual assault services
  • housing services and homeless services
  • youth services
  • support services for parents and families
  • public and denominational hospitals, public health services, private hospitals, multipurpose services, day procedure centres and registered community health services
  • drug or alcohol treatment services
  • designated mental health services and publicly funded mental health community support services
  • government departments and agencies providing services to children (including youth justice and corrective services)
  • local councils
  • disability services providers.

Category 2 organisations

These are organisations that:

  • have limited or no funding from government
  • have no regulatory arrangements with government
  • provide services for children
  • provide and supervise facilities specifically for children.

We will be the primary contact on child safe standards issues for these organisations. These include:

  • religious bodies, including churches
  • residential facilities of boarding schools and student hostels
  • cultural, sport or recreation services for children
  • counselling or other support services for children
  • charities and not-for-profit organisations providing services to children
  • coaching or tuition services for children
  • entertainment or party services for children
  • commercial or publicly funded transport services for children
  • gym or play facilities for children
  • photography services for children
  • talent or beauty competitions in which children participate
  • overnight camps for children
  • professional babysitting services
  • organisations that employ a child for whom a permit is required under the Child Employment Act 2003
  • post-school education and training providers, including TAFE institutes and universities
  • youth organisations (such as Scouts or Girl Guides)
  • schools other than registered schools (such as swimming schools, dance schools)
  • disability service providers not registered under the Disability Act 2006 (such as TAC funded providers).