skip to content

In scope organisations

Organisations in scope to comply with Child Safe Standards include those that provide services for children or provide facilities specifically for children that are supervised by the organisation. They are broken into two categories.

Category 1

Organisations regulated and/or funded by government providing services for children or that provide facilities specifically for children and which are supervised by the organisation. These include:

  • registered schools (government and non-government)
  • approved education and care services (e.g. kindergartens, after hours care services)
  • children’s services (e.g. occasional care providers)
  • an organisation which provides Early Childhood Intervention Services
  • Maternal and Child Health Centres
  • organisations registered or accredited to provide senior secondary education and training
  • registered overseas student exchange organisations
  • approved education and training organisations providing courses to students from overseas 
  • out-of-home care services
  • child protection services
  • family violence or sexual assault services
  • housing services and homeless services
  • youth services
  • support services for parents and families
  • public and denominational hospitals, public health services, private hospitals, multipurpose services, day procedure centres and registered community health services
  • drug or alcohol treatment services
  • designated mental health services and publicly funded mental health community support services
  • government departments and agencies providing services to children (including youth justice and corrective services)
  • local councils 
  • disability services providers.

Category 2

Organisations that have limited or no funding and/or regulatory arrangements with government that provide services for children or that provide facilities specifically for children and which are supervised by the organisation. These include:

  • religious bodies, including churches
  • residential facilities of boarding schools and student hostels
  • cultural, sport or recreation services for children
  • counselling or other support services for children
  • charities and not-for-profit organisations providing services to children
  • coaching or tuition services for children
  • entertainment or party services for children
  • commercial or publicly funded transport services for children
  • gym or play facilities for children
  • photography services for children
  • talent or beauty competitions in which children participate
  • overnight camps for children
  • professional babysitting services
  • organisations that employ a child for whom a permit is required under the Child Employment Act 2003
  • post-school education and training providers, including TAFE institutes and universities
  • youth organisations (such as Scouts or Girl Guides)
  • schools other than registered schools (such as swimming schools, dance schools)
  • disability service providers other than those registered under the Disability Act 2006 (such as TAC funded providers).

More information